Friday, April 15, 2011

So glad to know what I know...

There were 2 deaths in my ward this past week. One was a member and one was not. It was amazing as I spoke with both families to feel the difference in the home. Both were devastated by the loss, one knows that they will see their loved one again - the other doesn't. The level of devastation for the non-member is palpable. I wish that I could somehow comfort this sweet lady more...perhaps one day she will come to an understanding about our loving Heavenly Father and how families CAN be together forever. There IS something after this life - we don't just...end.
Yesterday was a hard day. We had the funeral for the member of our ward...such a wonderful kid. The funeral was packed - we had chairs lined up into the gym and almost filled all of them. He was SO loved. His family is amazing - the funeral one of the best ones I've been to. Hopefully I won't have to attend too many more any time soon. I do take great comfort knowing that the Savior came and atoned for all of our sins. He has made it possible to overcome our weaknesses and faults, the stupid things we do, the ignorance, the pain, sorrow, fear, shortcomings. Everything.

Things like this make me hug my kids a little tighter, realize that the small things (that I make into big things) aren't really trials. Time to take the time and appreciate all that I have been blessed with.

One of my old bishops was there at the funeral - with the spirit so strong in the room and all of the emotion there I also cried out of joy for the things that he taught me. He brought me through the hardest trial I have ever faced. I learned lessons in his office that I will never forget. I thanked him for everything - and he told me that it wasn't him that helped me...I know that it was through the Holy Ghost that I came to learn what the Atonement meant, how to apply it to my life, how much the Lord loved me - even when I felt I didn't deserve it. Sometimes it's good to be reminded of those lessons...I am grateful that I was reminded of them yesterday. I hope that I will remember them more often...and be strengthened by them once again.

Signature #2

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your beautiful testimony. It is so hard to let loved ones go, funerals are so hard, but they can be powerful testimony builders. I too am so grateful for the knowledge I have of the Savior's atonement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed to hear this today! I think that sometimes I feel so sorry for myself because I don't have everything I want, but I really do, I just don't recognize it. you are awesome

    ReplyDelete



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com