Thursday, May 13, 2010

More dentist fun...

I had to take Maddie in for the 1st of her 2 appointments at the dentist.  Today she had 4 cavities removed.  She can't be put under with general anesthetic, so we have to give her an oral sedative that makes her absolutly loopy.  I could tell when the medicine started to work because she started to wave her hands at things that weren't there - her depth perception was totally out of wack.  Then her speech got really slurred.  She thought that there was a spider coming to get her, it aparently makes them hallucinate - although it was really hard to understand what she was talking about.  Doesn't seem fair to make her go through this kind of stuff voluntarily!! 

She did really well in the chair, she tried to kick them a few times and then giggled about it.  She sang a few songs, giggled several times and kept saying awwww.  Donsters was fairly well behaved, he only cried if anyone came too close to him.  I had to have them help us out to the car so that I could carry Maddie, she couldn't walk.  He totally freaked out - not a suprize.  They were so nice to help me out - they even put him into his carseat and put on the belt for me.  They also let him pick out a prize for being so good.

Poor Maddie couldn't choose her prize - I had to pick one out for her.  It's like she was drunk - she was seeing things that weren't there, she was really wobbly like a drunk, her head seemed like it was really heavy, and I really couldn't understand what she said.  They were really worried that she might bite her toungue or cheeks - she was chewing and chewing on the little piece of cotton that they gave us.  When we got home she kept trying to take the cotton out, and didn't understand why she had to have it in her mouth.  She is still a little wobbly, but is easier to talk to and is understanding now why she has to have the cotton in there.  She still can't eat anything :(  she hasn't had anything to eat since last night, but we have to wait until she can feel her tounge and cheeks before I dare let her eat anything!  Its really hard to convince your child not to be scared of something that isn't really there - but they can see it.  It gives me a tiny bit of insight into those families who have to deal with children with drug abuse or mental disabilities.  Wow.  I don't know how they cope!!

 Let's all just pray that after Maddie's next appointment we will be able to keep her cavity free from now on.  She has been MUCH better at letting me floss her teeth lately.  I hardly ever floss (like once or twice a week ) and don't ever have any problems....guess that it's a lesson learned this time.  Just because my teeth are strong doesn't mean my kiddos have good teeth.  I'm brushing Maddie's and Donster's teeth morning and night!!  (I used to let them brush in the morning and I would do it at night - and we never flossed.  Now we floss and use a floride rinse - well Donsters doesn't rinse yet but he will!)   (Maybe next year we could spend the $900 on a vacation instead!!)
Signature #2

2 comments:

  1. Wow, poor Maddie... I am glad it's over for her. At least it was all for a good cause, right? And she will have a perfect healthy smile for the rest of her life:) We don't really floss or rinse in this house, however, our kids are very committed "brushers" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow poor kids. So far my girls have been great at the dentist, (they got James' good teeth). Funny thing is I am terrible about flossing their teeth and having them brush twice a day. Hopefully Maddie will have a better time next time.

    ReplyDelete



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com